Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Week 4, Thing 8: RSS & Newsreader

I already had a Blogline account from a class I took here in the library called "Geeks Bearing Gift." We did sign up some feeds too. I had not looked at it since that class. This exercise gave me a review and more practice. I signed up for more feeds, including some FCPL participant blog. I don't regularly go to the same websites or blogs every day for information, so I don't know how I would use this personally. I do go to CNN frequently, so I added that feed. The library blogs could be useful, but it takes so long to read them. Can you search them for posts on certain topics? I think I will take the time to follow one of them - I just need to figure out which one.

A great way for the library to use RSS feeds is to alert patrons when new books on a particular topic or by a particular author are added to the catalog. Libraries are doing this (I didn't think of it.) Here is one example, http://hclibrary.org/services/rss.php

No comments: